Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World Football

Junya Ito leaves Japan team at Asian Cup after accused of sexual assault

Junya Ito

Japan striker Junya Ito has left the national team at the ongoing 2023 Asian Cup in Qatar, after being accused of sexual assault by two women.

The Japanese forward is been called out by the ladies who say he allegedly slept with them without consent. Two women filed a formal complaint in mid-January 2024 for events that occurred on the night of 20 to 21 June 2023 after a friendly match.


However, in his defence, Ito admitted to having sex with them, although he says it was consensual.

According to reports from Japanese outlet Daily Shincho via BEIN Sports, the events took place after a drunk evening in a restaurant, followed by a stay at a hotel in Osaka.

One of the women, who was 20-year-old according to the reports, claimed to have been a victim of a non-consented sexual encounter with Junya Ito.

Junya Ito

 

She told RMC Sport:

 “When I woke up, Ito was above me. The room was dark, but I could see his face in front of me. I remember it very well.”

According to local media on Wednesday, Ito became the subject of sexual assault charges that is currently been investigated by local courts. So far, the 30-year-old striker who plays for French side Stade Reims, has not made any public response to the allegations.

Peter Okereke

Peter Okereke is a hardcore soccer fan and grew his passion for the beautiful game since watching Didier Drogba score the winning goal at Wembley in the 2007 FA Cup final for Chelsea against Manchester United.
He is the founder of The Soccer Report and has 4+ years of industry experience, having been writing about football since August 2019.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You May Also Like